Wednesday, April 9, 2014

He is Our Life and Our Rest

I have written at length, with uncompromising zeal.

There is no life or recovery in Alcoholics  Anonymous.

None.

The idea that I can turn my will and life over to a power greater than myself is pure nonsense when you talk about a higher power that you came up with.

Right away, your higher power is just not high enough.

Even the 16th century rationalist had more knowledge and understanding than that. If you can think of a Supreme Being, right away your idea of God is still too small.

Granted, such a priori thinking can get slippery really fast, but it bears some scrutiny because God cannot be conceived.

He conceived us.

And He has great plans in story for us, which cannot fit within the hollow bounds of Twelve Steps or religious formulas.

Yesterday, I remembered the following verse:

"28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28-30)

This verse presents to us our Lord Jesus, a tireless servant who wants us to lean on His direction and guidance, and trust that He is doing all things in our lives.

Rather than forcing outcomes through our efforts, we see His life pouring out through us.

I am not living this life. He is living in me.

I am not trying to do anything on my own. He is the Life who lives and works in me.

It has nothing to do with my thoughts or my feelings, either.

Now that I realize how good God really is, the next set of questions emerge: why did I not believe that Jesus is this good? That his yoke is easy and His burden is indeed light. In fact, Jesus' burden is not only easy, but it creates ease. It blesses us. It is gracious!

Too many people want to minimize God's goodness and maximize "our part."

When you see yourself weary and heavy-lade, it's time to see Him as the true yoke-fellow, and see yourself putting every need on his shoulders, casting your cares on Him (1 Peter 5:6-7)

Again I have to ask: why did  I not believe this?

I grew up in a household where law and works and man's effort had such preeminence. It was all about "God helps those who help themselves."

There is just one BIG problem -- our selves, ourselves, is completely bankrupt. We need His help, and not just for some things, but for all things.

A conception of God is simply not enough for us to comprehend how great -- and how good -- Jesus is.

He wants us to rest, and He wants us to know and believe that His love is so great, that all our needs are met in Him!

He is our rest, He is our everything. I do not want to settle with some petty conception of God which is only as big as my thinking.

He is our life and our rest.

I kid you not. I simply asked the prayer, that I could understand how He is taking care of all things. There was so much about the Finished Work of Jesus Christ that I simply did not know. I was not aware of how active and real He is, I was so busy looking at myself.

No.

Let us look to Christ Jesus, seated at God the Father's right  hand. For that is where we are!

Can't conceive it -- just believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment