Thursday, March 27, 2014

Why the Bible was Closed to Me -- Alcoholics Anonymous

If we read the Bible from the perspective of trying to do something, we will be frustrated.

The Bible is not about making people better. The Bible reveals the Perfect Person, Jesus, and because of Jesus, we have been perfected forever:

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19: 30)

and

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:" (Ephesians 1: 3)

and

"And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:" (Colossians 2: 10)

"For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." (Hebrews 10: 14)

It appears that we are perfected in Christ, granted His standing of righteousness, not our own:

"For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5: 17)

and also

"But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:" (1 Corinthians 1: 30)

and also

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5: 21)

Righteousness is something that we receive and keep receiving.

What I never understood, however, is that this righteousness has finished off the Old Covenant of law, and brought in the New Covenant of grace.

I understood that I was righteous, and that I was the righteousness of God in Christ, but I never understood that all my sins, past, present, and future had been purged.

I never understood that He is taking care of my tomorrows, too -- that He is committed to taking care of everything for me.

In effect, I was called to live by faith, faith in all that Jesus has done for me:

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." (Romans 1: 17)

Live by faith of the Son of God, too (Galatians 2: 20)

I never understood the finality of the Cross.

Today, I do -- and I also understand why I did not understand the rest before -- Alcoholics Anonymous, a terrible cult which taught me that I had to work out my life, that I had to maintain a spiritual program, or God would be cut off from me.

What a bunch of garbage that was -- and like many Christians, I believed that God was still angry with me. I had no knowledge whatsoever about grace, and that everything we have today is a gift, and that we are in Christ!

The Bible remained a close book to me for a long time because I was still caught up in what I needed to be doing, rather than seeing that He has been taking care of everything since the beginning.

What a wonderful revelation I have been receiving these last few days. Wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment