Monday, March 31, 2014

Condemnation is Over in Christ

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8: 1, ASV)

I never understood the full meaning of condemnation, or rather I had no idea that I was operating under condemnation.

This never-ending sense of nagging would follow me around for a long time.

No matter I was doing, no matter where I was going, a fear that I was doing something wrong would never go away from me.

I used to rely on the sense of upset to try and direct me in this life.

For a long time, though, I walked around in great fear and frustration, because there were a number of things which I had done, following some inner prompting within me.

Where did I get these ideas in the first place?

Let's take a quick look at the AA cult:

What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind. Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are going to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas. Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of inspiration. We come to rely upon it. (AA, pg 87)

In my experience, as well as the experience of many other people, I found this "spiritual sense" turned out to be foolish and wrong, and sometimes abusive and dangerous.

We cannot rely on any kind of intuition until we believe that all our sins are forever put away because of the blood of Jesus:

"
10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
The Spirit of God cannot live and thrive in us if we do not rest in the perfection of what Jesus did at the Cross, and thus what He is doing on our behalf at the Right Hand of God the Father:
 
"Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us." (Romans 8: 34)
 
Because of what Jesus did at the Cross, we do not worry about perfection anymore:
 
"For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." (Hebrews 10: 14)
 
We are perfected forever in Christ Jesus!
 
Condemnation is over, so we should stop spending any more of our time trying to make ourselves OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment