Monday, April 15, 2019

I Stopped Playing Chess -- No Need To Play When His Love Fulfills

For a while, I found myself getting glued to playing online chess.

I would play one ten-minute game, then it turned into 10 games, then 20.

Yes, I was addicted. I had started playing online in December 2017, when my Facebook accounts were disabled.

I was free from social media, but I still wanted to do "something" on the computer. I started playing online chess. I played different games, different scenarios.

The verve of winning was a lot of fun. The jolt of victory gives you a real high.

Some days, I found myself tumbling into the chess games so much, that the whole day would just evaporate. Gone!

Such a loss of time.

One day, in Monterey Park, I found myself playing with another guy. He had more experience. He played in more tournaments. I lost nearly every game I played against him. Slowly, I got better at playing. I realized that to play well, I couldn't get too jolly, giddy, or silly.

He walked me through a number of games, and he gave me honest appraisals for how I played and I what I did when I played. It was a crazy learning experience, too, since I had grown so accustomed to playing on a 2-D screen as opposed to working with 3-D pieces.

After that, more good things were coming my way, and more revelations about God's love and goodness entered into my mind and heart. Then one day, as I was playing chess on the computer, I found myself quite bored with it. The same moves, the same parries, the same game. It started really boring me.

As I understood more about how much God loved me, that need for an extra "buzz" was gone. I didn't need to do something to get it. Not only that, but I was having more fun winning battles and making inroads with the work that I have been doing with MassResistance. All of that came together, and a sense of completeness worked in me.

I stopped playing chess, and a sense of "need to play" was suddenly lifted from me.

It's amazing what a grand revelation of God's love can do for all of us when we just believe on Him and receive from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment