Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gospel of Grace and AA Cannot Mix

I started watching Pastor Joseph Prince in 2009, just after I walked off my job and walked into Celebrate Recovery.

I was so lost in those days. I was empty and frustrated on the inside, trying to focus on Jesus Christ and also trying to live a godly life.

I had no knowledge or understanding of God's grace or the gift of righteousness, both of which we are called to keep receiving (Romans 5:17).

As long as we do not allow the soft heart of "Good News" to beat within us, we will be hardened to the message of "rest and receive."

"I would go to the Celebrate Recovery meeting for an hour and a half, then I would go home and watch Joseph Prince for the next half an hour. At the time, I did not realize this, but the Twelve Steps of Law was mitigating the pure Gospel of Grace in my life.

I was undone with "secret sin" shame and so in bondage to it, that I did not know what to do. I was so frightened of myself, yet I had not yet learned that I was made a new creation in Christ, that the old man was to be reckoned "dead" (Romans 6: 11).

I was still "taking my inventory", still trying to "get rid of" thoughts and feeling which Jesus Christ had already more than paid for.

You cannot accept that Jesus paid for all if you still take your inventory, convinced that you must watch over yourself and make sure not to misstep.

The Gospel of Grace cannot mix with AA. Either you will love one and hate the other, or serve one and despise the other.

I choose to live "The Let Go Life" and let His righteousness take care of me!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Christopher, my name is Suzie from Australia. I was originally looking for Joseph's account of AA, thankyou for your post, it is definitely food for thought. I also follow Joseph Prince, Gospel of Grace and my life, although many ups and downs, His grace is unsurpassed and love abundantly more than we could ever perceive. I started at AA and am grateful for the 1st year, I believe God led me to AA but then onto New Creation Church where I too watch and receive daily. God bless you brother.

    ReplyDelete