Monday, September 10, 2012

The Pharisee Element -- Now it Makes Sense


The people in AA and CR meetings cannot help but be Pharisees –they are still under law, still provoking others because at least they do not drink.

Thank God for people like Dorothy, people who got tired of going to meetings because they got tired of the rank hypocrisy. I still remember how she told me that she stopped going to AA meetings because she could not stand listening people who would commit terrible crimes, yet they would boast that "at least" they did not drink for the day."

I remember another guy, Jeff, who wanted to a good Christian, and he wanted to get sober, too, he became a Pharisee – provoking me to my face about something that I had shared in a meeting. He became the most arrogant person in the meeting, sadly.

At the time, I did not understand what was going on. I had gone to these meetings looking for life and help, what I was getting was more hurt and pain. The very people whom I thought would be helping me were actually causing me more pain than the “unsaved” people out there in the world.

This man gave me a hard time about sharing something in a meeting, something from way back when. Where did this guy get the rank audacity to tell me anything, when he could not rub two days of sobriety together?

Now it all makes sense. This man, like many of the people in these Twelve Step programs, became a proselyte, and they may indeed become twice as much sons of hell:

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves." (Mathew 23: 15)

AA is sadly filled with such tragedy, men and women who are looking for a way out, and instead the program brings them into deeper bondage, scaring them with the evil notion that if they leave, they will start drinking again!

If you are reading this, and you are someone who used to go to AA meetings and have gotten out, please let me know. . .

We need to impress on people in these programs that the life and more abundant which they seek is not found in the "Big Book" but the only Big Book -- The Holy Bible, which witnesses from cover to cover Christ and Him Crucified, He who gives and never taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment