Tuesday, January 21, 2014

God is Greater Than Our Conception of Him -- More!

No, No, one thousand times no.

I do not want a conception of God.

In effect, if we think that God is someone, or something that we conjure up. . .then guess what?

This "God"  will only be a manifestation of our prior experience, or whatever someone else taught us about God and His love.

There is just no way that any one of us can do God justice, in that we see Him in Christ Jesus.

Jesus!

He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14: 6)

I need the way, I need to know where to go and what to do. I do not need some haphazard set of steps which may or may not work for me.

This one verse came streaming through my head yesterday:

"38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8: 38-39)

How about that? God's love cannot be separated from me, and I cannot be separated from Him.

Yet for so long, this truth never seemed to mean anything to me.

Why is that?

You want to know what! The terrible AA cult, this stupid, evil, nasty, no good, very bad cult.

As long as a man thinks that he can or must do something, anything in order to be accepted before Him from day to day, then we are destined to be looking at ourselves, and never at other people, but most importantly we will not be looking at God our Father, nor at His Son Jesus for our support, for our everything.

Let's take a look at the what the AA Book says:

With ministers, and the world's religions, I parted right there. When they talked of a God personal to me, who was love, superhuman strength and direction, I became irritated and my mind snapped shut against such a theory. (AA, pg 10)

Right away there's the problem. God is not a theory. He is a person, and He has revealed Himself to us through His Son Jesus! And we see Him in the Word:

So, we should be quite skeptical when someone invites us to choose our own conception of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment