Thursday, February 6, 2014

We Are Not Alone in This Life -- He is Our Life

We are not alone in this life. This life is not something which we strive to live in our own efforts.

This life is all about a Person who loves us, and loves us perfectly and passionately. This Person, Jesus Christ, not only gave Himself on the Cross to die for us, but also gives of Himself every day that we may live through Him (1 John 4: 9)

The hardship for me for so long, was this idea that I had to do everything, have everything, be everything, figure everything out.

The whole word, so it seemed, rested on my shoulders. I had no idea, none whatsoever, that Jesus Christ did not merely come to break me free of my sins, but of sin in the flesh, and moreover to live out his life in my flesh. These are different dynamics entirely, many of which I had not known, and which created for me untold frustration and pain.

Every day, I was trying to fix my thinking and feeling in such a fashion, so that I would know and believe that God would be working in my life. I was trying in my own efforts to do everything myself. There can be no hope of joy when we do not know whether He is going to be there to catch us, to hold us, to see us through or not.

And how carnal I was, too. I believed that I had to feel a certain way so that I knew that He was there for me. What bondage that created.

The pain of going around and around to keep myself in line. The need to feel a certain way to do anything: all of it was just unbearable.

The pain of living, and the reason why the wisest of men, Solomon, ended up hating life, is that they were trying to find life in themselves, when nothing good dwells in our flesh (Romans 7:18)

We need life, and that more abundantly, all of which are loving Father provides freely or us through His Son and the Holy Spirit to live and thrive in us.

We are not alone in this life, and this loneliness in our lives will not go away if we try to find life in anything besides life Himself: Jesus!

We cannot work Twelve Steps to find the fun and frolic of His love working in and through us. There is just no other way. None.

I grieve for the many who insist on the way of Cain, who want to improve themselves through their efforts, including the Twelve Steps, believing that Jesus' Work on the Cross was enough to save them from death to life, and yet is not enough to save them from day to day every day of our walk on this earth.

The more that we accet that we can do nothing without Him, the more that we will experience peace in our lives. And the more that we will know and believe that we are not alone in this life, because this life is not ours, but His, and a gift which He keeps giving us, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment