Monday, December 23, 2013

Still More Victory in the Truth!

Oh, the bitter memories I used to carry within me.

The chronic struggle and fierce failures which I had attempted to overcome.

Memories of great pain and fear would well up within me, and I tried to do what I could about how I felt.

Now, lo and behold, the wonderful invitation of Colossians 3:

"f ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 1-4)

I have a new identity in Christ. What my body feels or my mind thinks has nothing to do with who I am.

Because of Jesus' death and resurrection, I am seated in heavenly places at the Father's right hand.

The bad thoughts, the bad feelings: they are not me.

The bitter memories of years past. What were they?

I can sum them up in the following set of phrases:

I was trying. I had no idea that I was dead, and that Christ was living in me.

I struggled against some of the worst students. I feared when they would come in the room, convinced that they were making me feel one way or another. The truth is that who I am or what I felt had nothing to do with me at all.

I was often living in fear and shame. I worried that I might say or do the wrong thing.

All of that fear and worry, frustration and regret-- those feelings were never me

To be carnally, fleshly minded is death (Romans 8: 6),  but to mind spiritual things -- there is our life and peace.

For Christ is our life, and we receive His life in us through His Holy Spirit.

Yet I was convinced that I had to feel or think a certain way in order to enjoy God's life and peace in me. That wrong conclusion explains precisely why I had so many problems in my life.

I identified with my feelings. I kept thinking that I was responsible for the feelings, thoughts, and other sources of bondage.

I am dead to sin, I am dead to the rudiments of the world.

Yet the AA cult suffused me with half-truths, which are full lies in every way. While the program claims that men and women can input their own conception of God, most Christians find their lives troubled and frustrated further. The growing number of people who continue to try and live the Christian life, with the "help" of the Twelve Steps, is both appalling and sad.

The Gospel delivered to us through Christ delivers us from all sin through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's a gift in every way. The notion that we can add anything to this wonderful gift is an offensive blasphemy.

AA is one of these blasphemies.

We do not perfect ourselves through our feelings. We do not set ourselves free.

He has set us free. All we have to do is believe on Him, and we receive all things through Him (Romans 8:31-32)

No comments:

Post a Comment