Thursday, December 5, 2013

He Changes You - Not You!

Alcoholics Anonymous imposes on people the responsibility for changing themselves, for working a program.

The Bible offers us something better.

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" (Philippians 1: 6)

and

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." (2 Corinthians 3:18)

For years, I would combat every bad thought, every negative feeling, every upset as if I had to do something about it.

A life of putting out fires, a life of trying to fix what was crucified, my flesh, was all that I had to look forward to because I was programmed with Twelve Steps as the answer to every problem in my life.

The steps do not work, for they cannot finish or even add to all that Jesus has done at the Cross.

For too long, I was emotionally dependent, compelled into running to other people every time I was scared, frustrated, afraid.

My mother had played mini-savior for too long in my life. She had told me what to believe, what to do, how to live, and she operated out of this fearful need to control because she felt so fearful and lonely in this world.

AA does that to people.

The program offers to people a false god with no power, because any god which we conceive of is not a god at all.

We need a revelation of the goodness of God, which we find in the Bible, because man cannot conceive, let alone receive, such consummate holiness through his own efforts.

God is in the business of changing us, and not the other way around. We must stop trying to look and perfect ourselves, but grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord, knowing and believing that He began a good work in us, and that He will finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment