Thursday, October 10, 2013

Why I Suffered -- and Why People Die in AA

Alcoholics Anonyous places people under law.

They have to do everything. Even though there is this Higher Power to whom they turn their will and lives, the fact remains that members of AA have to work a program, and they become dependent on sponsors, group meeting, mantras, cliches, and works in order to maintain their sobriety.

When people are under law, when a sense of incompleteness, a nagging certainty of imperfection remains on people, frustration, anger, and depression will inevitably ensue.

When individuals operate especially from an assumption of emotional balance as a necessity for living, a man's life becomes barren, empty, and despairing.

Such describes the emotional turmoil of many people in AA.

I would wake up every day, not sure what I was supposed to be doing, not sure what was expected of me, yet at the same time I felt this constant nagging in my mind, in my conscience, that I was not doing what I was supposed to be doing.

What kind of life is it when a member of any group is looking at himself, cataloging the good and the bad of his days? To be looking at one's thoughts and feelings as an arbiter of whether God is in your life or not, that becomes a sheer nightmare!

Such was the pressure which I lived under for so long.

AA causes people to suffer, not be secure. The program creates illness and frustration rather than strengthening people to break free.

People die when they live under demands that they cannot fulfill, yet at the same time feel compelled to obey, or they will die.

I have know and met and read about many people who "worked" the AA program, one which does not work, and works even less the more that a person sincerely tries to work it.

No comments:

Post a Comment