Monday, June 16, 2014

No More Inventories -- Justified from all Things

I was always trying so hard.

Pushing through any kind of reticence or frustration to do everything that needed to be done.

Like many Christians, I was convinced that I had to life this in my own strength.

In order to do a good job, I had to feel well, not feel bad, not have any negative feelings.

This detachment of faith and feelings has been very difficult for me, and the reason why? AA

This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along. We vigorously commenced this way of living as we cleaned up the past. We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime. Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code. (AA. pg 84)

One part which just stood out to me, which now makes me cringe:

It [continue to take personal inventory] should continue for a lifetime.

For a lifetime?

Can you imagine taking your inventory every day for a lifetime?

At first, such a demand seemed simple enough.

However, the notion that we should keep taking stock of our sins suggests that Jesus' blood did not finish the work:

"
10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
God our Daddy does not remember our sins any more. They are all paid for, forever.
 
If Daddy does not remember, and He sees us as His own Son Jesus (1 John 4: 17), then we have no business taking our inventory, because there is no inventory to take.
 
The Gospel in its simplest form:
 
"38Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: 39And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses." (Acts 13: 38-39)
 
 
Justified from all things -- wow! There is no need for an inventory, since everything has been paid for.
 
His supply is inexhaustible, and in Christ Jesus we can be sure that God our Father is freely giving us all things (Romans 8: 32)

No comments:

Post a Comment