Friday, November 7, 2014

He is Bringing and Guarding, Not Us!

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 6-7)

God keeps our hearts and minds.

We don't.

It is not our job to do this.

I thought that it was, and for the longest time, in my mind, that is exactly what I had tried to do.

I have had a terrible time of letting go. For all the talk about "Let Go, Let God", I found that it simply did not work in my life.

The reason? We cannot let go if we do not believe that God is holding on for us.

If we think that every negative projection in our lives must be answered, then we can never trust Him.

And there you have the biggest reasons why I panicked at length in my life.

I was convinced that I had to answer every fearful premonition in my mind.

Never did I realize that they do not stop through our efforts.

What does the Bible say?

"12Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into." (1 Peter 1: 12)

Then

"13Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance: 15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy." (1 Peter 1: 13-16)

We are not supposed to honor every fear and hurt. We do not give heed to the fretting and worrying in our minds, either. Every thought is brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)

Like many people, I was given to the notion that I had to fight every thought. Every premonition of fear was something that I had to take care of.

That is not what the Bible teaches at all!

He guards our hearts and minds, not us. He brings every thought into captivity, not us.

Years ago, I had read that verse, and yet I felt no peace. I loved the idea of not worrying about anything, yet for some reason, I still felt agitated. "What do I do about this? What is my part?"

All of these questions never left my mind. The reason why?

Because I did not see Him as alive! I did not see Jesus beyond my head. I was still too big.

Like many Christians, I knew that Jesus died for me, but I did not know that He lives for  me!

He is bringing and guarding us, not we ourselves. He is taking care of all things, not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment