Thursday, February 28, 2013

AA: Lies and Distracting Distortions

I cannot believe that I had gone in with so many of the silly lies and distortions in AA.

I was taught for many years that the "Big Book" would help me to make the precepts of the Bible practical.

The missing element, then and now, was that the Christian Life is not just difficult, but downright impossible. Only Christ Jesus can live this life in us, and He wants us to rest and receive His life and love and lavish goodness through His Spirit

I spent so much time nursing my flesh, trying to feel better, trying to think better, trying to make everything work out as long as I could maintain some sort of mood.

How much of God's grace do we need? All of it, and more:

"10But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)

and

"11For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world." (Titus 2: 11-12)

I was taught this nonsense because the Big Book makes a Big Deal about our feelings.

Feelings just respond to our thinking, and if men and women are thinking about themselves, taking their inventories, and mired in the wicked notion that they are defined forever by an incurable disease, it will be a matter of time before fears, resentments, and self-centeredness take over.

How can anyone break free if they are on call 24-7 to live out a "spiritual program" riddled with twists, turns, and contradictions?

Can anyone break free if they are plagued by the chronic feeling that they may or may not be separated from God because of how they feel, or what they are thinking?

Nothing could be more distant form the truth. AA teaches people to go in circles, trying to fix something that can never be fixed, distracting people from the truth that sets them free.

No comments:

Post a Comment