Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Our Mind Rests in Him

Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done."

This passage brought me into terrible bondage for a long time.

For a program that tells us not to think about ourselves, this train of thought invites nothing but introspection and bondage and condemnation.

"We must carry. . ."

A God of our understanding who requires that we carry His water for Him is a poor and weak God, indeed.

Jesus does the carrying for us:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28-30)

Paul explains the revelation in this passage:

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5: 1)

The former bondage was the law, the ordinances which witness against us, exposing our sin state (Romans 3: 19-20) . We are now called to serve through the Spirit working in us:

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." (2 Corinthians 3: 6)

The "yoke" that Jesus invites us to receive is Himself, His Life, which we receive by the Holy Spirit.

We are not called to busy our minds with "what do I do?", but rather rest in what Jesus has done, and let the Spirit of God lead us (Galatians 5: 16), letting the peace of Christ rule -- preside as a judge -- in our hearts (Colossians 3: 15).

We can do nothing of ourselves. In fact, Jesus asks us to do one thing:

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

"I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15: 4-5)

We are called to remain in Him, in His Word, which planted in our hearts (James 1: 21), bears fruit, leads us to obey Him, for the Word of God is Spirit and Life (John 6: 63).

Rather than busying ourselves without what to do, we are called to rest, to stay our minds on Him:

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."" (Isaiah 26: 3)

And this perfect peace is Christ (Ephesians 2: 14), and His will is already in us (Philippians 2: 13), working in us what He wants us to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment