Saturday, August 23, 2014

Everything Thought Bought and Brought

God Himself is in love with me.

What I am thinking --  is not "I am thinking."

Everyone of us walks around in a body, and we possess a soul.

But we are not our feelings at all.

How true it is.

Yet for the longest time, like Pastor Joseph Prince and many other people who have struggled under law, I believed that I had to watch the thoughts that I was thinking too.

If I was thinking or feeling wrong, then I would get into big trouble.

Like the Israelites wandering in the wilderness, I had not rested on the truth of God's Word, that He had perfected me forever before Himself in Christ Jesus.

Yet what does the Bible say about our Blessed, Beloved status before God the Father?:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1: 3-6)

We are accepted, made gracious and highly favored, in the Beloved.

That is, we are in Christ, and God sees us in Christ, and thus we are one with His Son:

"Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)

The  more that we see ourselves in Christ, which is where every believer truly is, the more that we are walking in the truth.

For so long, the pain of what was going on in my mind had been making all the trouble.

I had lived for so long trying to hold my mind in check.

When I found my mind drifting, or I found myself getting angry or hurt about what other people had done or said, then I would get angry or fearful or despairing.

Would there ever be any peace and rest for me?

I had heard Joseph Prince preach that we have to think of our minds saturated with the Finished Work of Jesus Christ:

"Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks." (Song of Songs, 4: 3)

and then

"As a piece of a pomegranate are thy temples within thy locks." (Song of Songs 6: 7)

Now, even when I had reads passages like this one, I was convinced that all the bad thoughts and feelings would go away.

They did not.

Today, I realize that because I am a spirit, not a soul nor a body, right away I can distinguish what I am thinking from who I am.

So it is true for all of us in the Body of Christ.

We can rest in the Finished Work of Jesus, because He has finished all things for us, He is taking care of all things for us, and He has provided all things for us.

I do not have to watch out for myself, because He is watching out for me:

"I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me." (Psalm 3: 5)

He sustains us.

His sustaining us has nothing to do with us, but with His Son:

"
10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
He is our God not because of us, but because He remembers our sins no more.
 
He is not looking at our bad thoughts or feelings.
 
He is looking at His Perfect Son, and we are in Him.
 
Meditate on 1 John 4:17 if does not make sense.
 
Let me put it this way.
 
Every sinful thought and feeling has been bought and paid for at the Cross:
 
"They twisted together a crown of thorns, put it on His head, and placed a reed in His right hand. And they knelt down before Him and mocked Him: "Hail, King of the Jews!" (Matthew 27: 29) 
 
Consider also the power in His blood:
 
"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." (1 John 1: 7)
 
His blood still cleanses us, including our thoughts and feelings.
 
We are not responsible for controlling the perverse or frustrating elements which come in and out of our minds. We do not identify with perverse thinking springing forth from our flesh, for our flesh has been condemned (Romans 8: 3)
 
Millions of people can walk free in the Light of God because of Jesus. There is no reason to run to a psychiatrist of counselor over the evil thinking which will flit about in our fallen minds.
 
We are called rather to renew our minds to the truth, which we find in God's Word (Romans 12: 1-2)
 
Every thought has been bought and brought . . .
 
Every thought has been brought into captivity to His obedience, that is the obedience of Jesus Christ at the Cross (2 Corinthians 10: 5)
 
Notice that the thoughts are not forever eliminated. We will still feel them. They will still come and go from time to time.
 
The point for us, however, is that we do not identify with what we are thinking.
 
We identify with Him who has been from the beginning:
 
"1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3: 1-4)
 
That is where you and I are today, those who believe on the Lord Jesus, those who are saved.
 
Every thought has been bought and brought because of Him!

1 comment:

  1. Because His Finished Work polishes our thoughts, the same way that the red juice of a pomegranate covers our thoughts and purifies them, we must not be in the business of thinking that we must control or fix our thinking.

    It is all about our hearts being established in grace (Hebrews 13: 9)

    Now, once we understand that every negative thought is bought and brought, we can focus on this wonderful exhortation, without any sense of shame for failing to do otherwise:

    "8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." (Philippians 4: 8-9)

    ReplyDelete