Friday, November 23, 2012

Not a Conscience of Condemnation, but one of Righteousness

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink. (AA, pg  24)

"For reasons yet obscure" -- the whole premise is wrong, that's why the reasons do not exist.

Alcoholism, like any other perversion, is a result of man in his flesh being dead in his trespasses, and no matter who hard he tries to blot out the wrongs done to him, no matter how hard he tries to break free, all of the struggling makes the matter worse, like a victim trapped in quicksand, who in thrashing about to get out just gets in even deeper.

"19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5: 19-21)

Paul shared the desperate struggle which he found himself in as a result of trying to correct his own flesh:

"21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7: 21-24)

The law of sin and death brings every man into bondage. The way out is not through our efforts, but through Jesus Christ:

"I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin" (Romans 7: 25)

The next verse explains the key:

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8: 1, NIV)

This gift of righteousness and grace, this standing of "no condemnation" allows Christ in us to be the hope -- the certain expectation -- of glory in our  lives (Colossians 1: 27)

This gift of condemnation grants us the power to overcome all sin. On this truth Jesus ministered to the woman caught in adultery:

"When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8: 10-11)

It is not a conscience of our sin, not a reminder of the wrongs that we have done which set us free, but the righteousness of Christ imputed to us (2 Corinthians 5: 21) which then set us free from sin to reign in life.



No comments:

Post a Comment