Saturday, October 13, 2012

Freed From the Bondage of Self! Rejoice!

Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. (AA. pg. 63)

This revelation must be shouted from the roof-tops!

How can we presume to ask God to remove from us the bondage of self, then assert that focus once again on ourselves to do his will?

Let's take another look at the "Third Step Prayer":

"God, I offer myself to Thee-to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do Thy will always!"

The focus is still on the very person from whom we wish to be set free -- self!

What does "thy power" or "thy love" mean? "Thy way of life?" Do not settle for so little:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14: 6)

Jesus is the Way, not just a way, and the Life, not just a way of Life! And that's the Truth!

On another note -- What is the will of God for us, in Christ Jesus? Paul lets us in on this powerful truth in his first letter to the Thessalonians:

"Rejoice evermore.

"Pray without ceasing.

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18)

Why do we rejoice? Paul outlines the power of the Gospel for us:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." (Romans 1: 16-17)

In Romans 4, Paul outlines the blessed gift of the Gospel:

"4Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,7Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin." (Romans 4: 4-8)

We can rejoice in all the good that God has done for us:

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." (John 17: 4)

and

"Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

"For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

"For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world." (Hebrews 4: 1-3)


People in AA are taught to be careful about their feelings. They have to deal with their fears and resentments, self-centeredness and self-seeking natures. In effect, in trying to rid themselves of themselves, they focus on themselves all the more!

Yet in all of their attention to taking their inventory and dealing with their feelings, all of that introspection brings us into greater bondage!

Instead of trying to fix ourselves, let us rest in our new life in Christ:

"8Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: 9Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. 10For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6: 8-11)

Just as Christ is not more under death, so we who are in Christ are no longer under death, either, but live in Him, who is our life (Colossians 3: 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment