Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sin Condemned in the Flesh

Jesus did not die on the Cross so that we could keep feeling sorry for our sins today.

"12Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins." (Proverbs 10: 12)

God's Love is demonstrated to us on the Cross:

"9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. 10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4: 9-10)

There, God did not just cover our sins, but he purged them forever:

"13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Colossians 2: 13-15)

Read that again: all trespasses, all sins, all.

Jesus did not just die for our sins, but He remains our mercy seat, or our "propitiation" forever more.

We need this assurance because we still walk around in these dead-Adam bodies, in which sin in the flesh will manifest.

But this sin in our flesh has been condemned:

"1Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." (Romans 8: 1-4, NASB)

The devious nature of the Alcoholics Anonymous cult, including the misguided hopes of Celebrate Recovery, is to deceive people into trying to perfect their flesh, when Christ's death on the Cross also crucified our flesh forever:

"20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2: 20-21)

When Paul wrote that he was crucified with Christ, He was speaking about sin in the flesh.

He also argues that everyone of us is dead to sin, but alive in Christ to righteousness (Romans 6: 11-14)

Because we are dead to the rudiments of this world, we need not worry about trying to fix our flesh. Instead, Paul invites us to set our eyes at the Father's right hand:

"1For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh; 2That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words. 5For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ." (Colossians 3: 1-4)

This revelation means so much to me.

I have spent so much time still getting worried about how I feel, or trying to preempt my fears and upsets.

Now I have a reason not to worry about how I feel: Christ has crucified sin in the flesh! He has crucified the sin in my flesh!

For so long, I feared doing certain things, since I was constantly distracted, or feared being distracted. by sinful thoughts and emotions.

Wow! This is really cool!

More to share on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment