Friday, August 31, 2012

Work for a Promise? Are You Kidding ME?!


Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them. (AA, pg 84)
 
I have read in diverse sources that cults have an element of truth, yet they are suffused with misleading statements, contradictions, and outright fraud.
 
I cannot think of a more blatant and stupefying contradiction than the above statement from "The Promises" section.
 
"Extravagant promises" they are if we have to work for them.
 
How can anyone write about "promises" if they have to be earned?
 
"They are being fulfilled" -- they are being fulfilled? Why the passive voice? Who fulfills them? Me, you, the sponsor, the meetings themselves?
 
I cannot believe how many times I have read these and other statements in the "Big Book", which upon closer scrutiny are so conflicting and conflicted as to be utterly meaningless.
 
Jesus our High Priest does much more and much better for us:
 
"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." (Hebrews 8: 6)
 
These promises are as follows:
 
"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
"And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
 
"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." (Hebrews 8: 10-12)
 
In those promises, there is no mention of what we do, but all of what God does in us! Now, those are promises worth receiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment