Thursday, March 26, 2020

Faith Has Nothing to Do with Feelings, Even Bad Feelings

This has been one incredible journey for me.

All these years, I was so obsessed with my thoughts and feelings. I was convinced that what I was thinking, what I was feeling, was going to frustrate God's work, God's Word, God's will working in and through me.

When I think about the passage in Philippians, however, I start to realize how mistaken, how misplaced my views really are:

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

God's work and will is ongoing in me. It does not depend on me, including what I am thinking or feeling.

God is at work! He is in love with me, and He lives in me!

This was so hard for me to grasp, since for the longest time I was so caught up, preoccupied with whatever I was thinking or feeling.

It has taken me a long, long time to recognize that unconditional love is precisely that -- unconditional. Once I understand this wonderful gift, that God's grace is able to flow in my life.

So many Christians believe that if we know that all our sins are forgiven, then what is to stop people from sinning?

Honestly, I wonder how these individuals can forget how bad sin really was for them, and how bad it has always remained!

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23)

I am not interested in death. I have known and experienced the goodness of God!

"O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." (Psalm 34:8)

and

"Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." (Psalm 16:11)

and

"Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?" (Romans 2:4)

But let me get back to the subject of faith and feelings.

I used to think that my faith was marred if my feelings were off, were bad.

I used to think that if I was feeling or thinking the wrong things, that it would frustrate God's grace, God's presence in my life. I had not understood how present He is. For so long, I was stuck thinking that God was present or absent, His love was here and there.

How untrue all of this is!

I used to think that faith and truth were all about feelings! No!

What is faith?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

Faith is all about seeing based on what is in God's Word, not in man's senses.

He is active, present, real, not based on what we are thinking or feeling.

My goodness--even Cain heard from God, even though he murdered his own brother beforehand!

No, faith has nothing to do with our feelings. God's love and grace do not stop flowing in our lives just because of how we are feeling, for better or for worse.

Don't get me wrong: understanding how much it is worth my while to rest and receive has been quite a challenge for me. I was so convinced that I had to "conjure up" God's presence in my life depending on how I was feeling or what I was thinking.

The simple revelation has had some complex implications for me, and I thank God that He has been so patient with me!

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment