Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Why The Truth Scares Us

We are afraid of the truth not because we don't want some sense of security in our lives.

We are afraid of the truth precisely because we fear the lack of security, the shame, or the deep depression that will ensue if the truth is known about us.

In Christ, we learn that grace and truth are two sides of the same blessed coin.

When we embrace the truth of who we are, then the grace of God can infuse every area of our lives:

"16And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. 17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (John 1: 16-17)

The grace of God flows into our lives, one wave after another, granting us more favor and good in our lives through Him.

In the past, I would put up with people I did not like, or I would endure situations which I did not care for, only because I was afraid of the consequences of speaking up or changing my mind, or doing something else.

Today, because I see how all things are supplied to me through Christ Jesus, I do not have to fear man:

"So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."
(Hebrews 13: 6)

What was the key ingredient which brought everything into focus?

I recognized today that I was still convinced that how I was feeling or what I was thinking would determine whether He was here for me or not.

The mental anguish of trying to hold on for so long - I cannot begin to relate.

I was so afraid to let go, because I was never sure that He would be holding onto me.

For the longest time, I was convinced that I had to hold onto Him.

That was never the case, since we were all sinners who did not care about God, had no idea that He cared about us, that He was interested in taking care of us in all ways.

I was so afraid to walk away from abusive people, because I did not believe that there was someone else, Someone Else was standing in the gap and taking care of me in all ways.

"6Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: 7Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." (1 Peter 5: 6-7)

What is it about the truth that scares us? Nothing really, if we understand that the truth sets us free, and does not bring in us into bondage.

It is the error, the terror of learning the truth, and then then wondering which ends up following.

What if He does not take care of me? What if I look stupid? What will happen to me?

We now know that in Christ we are fully taken care of. This truth is not scary, but rather sets me free!

No comments:

Post a Comment