Thursday, February 19, 2015

"One Day At a Time" Limits God

I have lived with much of the AA agenda still rattling in my brain.

Not once did I ever challenge the folk "wisdom" pushed by that crappy program.

Today, now that I know the fullness of God's grace, that He has provided all things, and that all He asks us to do is. . .believe Him (John 6: 29), I now have greater confidence not only to come to Him in time of need (Hebrews 4: 16), but have the greater boldness to contend for the faith of Jesus (Jude 1-2).

So, I take another look at the "Live One Day at a Time" mantra.

Is this really sound advice?

For years, I kept hearing this nonsense preached to me. Yet I was beset with questions, and my fears about tomorrow never went away.

If I am living one day at a time, how then do I deal with tomorrow, and the day after? How can I know that He will be there for me?

While the pretense of the cult induces the members to find some solace and peace in these pretenses, it never created any for me.

Yet I was convinced that if I just believed it enough, everything would be fine.

I found that preparing and planning for the future was a terribly frustrating venture.

I feared failure, and the uncertainty of wondering whether I would be taken care of or not was just too much for me to ignore.

Faith, I have since learned, has nothing to do with a blind allegiance to chance suppositions.

Men and women will go nowhere if there is no trust or certainty that all things will be taken care of.

In fact, even when people tried to comfort me with "Everything will be all right", there still was no sense of peace or calm. "Will be" is not a certainty, gave no confidence.

What everyone of us needs to accept is that God is greater than our times and troubles, because through the death and resurrection of His Son at the Cross, we have the clear promise that He will never leave us nor forsake, that our standing and our future is Good Hands.

Living one day at a time makes no sense fr the belieer regenerated receiving new life in Christ.

First of all, we do  not live of ourselves, but rather we live because He lives, and He lives in us!

When we understand that He is our life, then we stop looking at our feelings and thoughts, and start taking into consideration His sure certainties on our behalf:

"13For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, 14Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. 15And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. 16For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. 17Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: 18That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec." (Hebrews 6: 13-20)

God swore by Himself and His Son, and the two are immutable in their trust and integrity, that they cannot help but bless all of us who believe on the Lord God.

For God, let us also remember that time is not a  limit, an obstacle, or even a problem:

"For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night." (Psalm 90: 4)

The context for this verse focuses on how light and transient we human beings are.

Peter then references this verse:

"8But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (1 Peter 3: 8-9)

Here, the time issue is to give us a sense of patience, not just for our own blessings won at the Cross through Jesus, but also for the many in the world who do not yet believe on Him.

Days and years mean nothing to the same God who spoke all things to exist, and in whom all things consist (Colossians 1: 18).

He holds all our times in His hands, too:

"My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me." (Psalm 31: 15)

His hands are bigger than all of time, so why settle for one day at time? That limits are understanding of God our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment