Friday, February 27, 2015

The Pressure is Condemnation

There were so many voices of pain in my head.

There was chronic fear and frustration, that  I was never doing enough, that nothing was ever good enough.

I was convinced that if I was not working, then nothing would happen.

The whole world weighed on my shoulders.

Yet what does the Bible say about the world?

"He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing." (Job 26: 7)

and yet

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16: 33)

and also

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." (1 John 5: 4)

We are more than conquerors today in Christ Jesus, who loved us, and gave Himself for us (Romans 8: 37; Galatians 2: 20-21)

And yet this pressure was ongoing in my life, as though I was not doing enough, and the sentiments of frustration and outrage were so strong

I also believed that I had to do something about these sensate fears and tremors.

I now realize that the proof of God's love of caring is base in the Cross, and that all that Jesus did at the Cross was far more than anything I could have ever understood just by one cursory reading of the Bible.

When Peter writes that we are to "Grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord", this includes an expanded awareness of all that happened at the Cross. What Jesus did when He died, and when He rose again, and now that He his seated at the right hand of God the Father, requires us to read the Word and learn more about our inheritance in Christ Jesus!

For the longest time, every time that I felt bad, I was convinced that I had ro do something about that feeling, as though the fears and tumults suggested that God was not there for me, or that I had done something wrong.

I understand now what Paul meant when he said: "Walk in the Spirit, and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh" (Galatians 5:16)

I was too busy trying to conjure up His life in my head and feelings.

That was all wrong.

He was already here and there and everywhere taking care of me.

The Cross was the proof then and now of God's undying, unending love for me.

As for the pressure, I realize today that all of it was condemnation, pure and simple, as though everything depended on me, or else.

This is not my life, and all things do not depend on me. They depend on Him who has been from the beginning! (1 John 2: 12-14)

I kept thinking that I had to resolve the fears and upsets in my head. The truth is that all of these matters have been taken care of, regardless of our feelings.

We believe in the testimony of God our Father and His Son, not because of some leap of fancy, but because of the written word and the evidence in science and history which affirms these accounts.

The pressure is gone because of the Cross, where all the condemnation was eaten away forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment