Thursday, May 9, 2013

AA Instills an (Impossible) Sense of Demand -- Jesus is All Supply

Suppose we fall short of the chosen ideal and stumble? Does this mean we are going to get drunk? Some people tell us so. But this is only a half-truth. It depends on us and on our motives. If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. We are not theorizing. These are facts out of our experience. (AA, pg 70)

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them. (AA, pg 84)
 
Much has already been said about receiving strength, inspiration, and direction from Him who has all knowledge and power. If we have carefully followed directions, we have begun to sense the flow of His Spirit into us. To some extent we have become God-conscious. We have begun to develop this vital sixth sense. But we must go further and that means more action. (AA, pg 85)
 
It works - it really does.
 
We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.
 
But this is not all. There is action and more action. "Faith without works is dead." The next chapter is entirely devoted to Step Twelve. (AA, pg 88)
 
The whole AA program is based on what we must do, what we need to accomplish, the steps which we need to take.
 
It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will. (AA, pg 85)
 
Nothing but a "daily reprieve" divides a man from drinking again.
 
The intense pressure which this places on a person just defies description. It's absolutely crazy!
 
Jesus Christ is all supply:
 
"10But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." (1 Corinthians 15: 10)
 
Also
 
20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. " (Galatians 2: 20-21)
 
He has granted us unsearchable riches:
 
"3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: 4According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved." (Ephesians 1:3-6)
 
Philippians is nothing but wonderful testimony of all that Jesus is and does for us:
 
"12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. " (Philippians 2: 12-13)
 
then
 
"13I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4: 13)
 
and then
 
"19But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 19)
 
Who we are has everything to do with who Jesus is and what He has done for us:
 
"Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins." (1 John 4: 10)
 
and then
 
"17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4: 17)
 
AA places demands on people, yet at the same time, the program immobilizes its members by forcing them to label themselves "alcoholics." What's the first thing that an "alcoholic" will do? Drink! Yet at the same time, the same cult then claims "progress not perfection".
 
AA is as shameless, as brazen a cult as ever was promulgated.
 
Jesus is "The Way, the Truth, and The Life" (John 14: 6). Never did He expect anyone to take His word:
 
"Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. 12Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." (John 14: 1-12)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment