Tuesday, April 30, 2013

God-Conscious is Not Enough -- See Jesus, Your Everlasting Strength

I was to test my thinking by the new God-consciousness within. Common sense would thus become uncommon sense. I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me. Never was I to pray for myself, except as my requests bore on my usefulness to others. Then only might I expect to receive. But that would be in great measure. (AA, pg 13)

Bill Wilson was not God-conscious at all, but rather "self-conscious" since "I" was the first word that he wrote down, since he suggested that "his thinking" revealed "God-consciousness".

If nothing else, AA is all about subversion of our minds from their proper framework. God did not give us our minds so that we could create our own worlds.

In fact, our minds allow us to receive His greatest to the extent that we rest in Him:

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26: 3)

The next verse shares with us that "God" is more than some idea in our heads, or some "conception of God as we understand Him":

"Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength." (Isaiah 26: 4)

This "perfect peace" is not found in any God of our creating:

"5To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?

"6They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
 
"7They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble." (Isaiah 46: 5-7)
 
Anything that we can come up with will inevitably fall short, for His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55: 8-10)
 
God-consciousness is not good enough. If we want to know God, if we want to see God, we need to know and believe on Jesus Christ:
 
"Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (John 14: 9)
 
and
 
"[Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:" (Colossians 1: 15)
 
God-Consciousness is not enough. Christ is the Light of the world (John 8: 12), and He is the Life of all (John 1: 4; 14: 6)
 
Anything less than Christ Jesus is the least of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment