Monday, June 18, 2012

Step One -- "Related" Scriptures

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become

unmanageable.

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. (Romans 7:18)

Even the scripture itself points out the division present within the believer: the Spirit of God which bears witness of our sonship in Christ (Romans 8: 16), and our fallen bodies, which will still steer us toward self-effort and sin.

Yet the grace of God is greater than our flesh, if we only believe on Him:

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6: 14)

and

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;" (Titus 2: 11-12)

Celebrate Recovery, Alcoholics Anonymous, and other Twelve Steps groups give way too much power to the flesh, instead of magnifying God's grace flowing in our lives through the Holy Spirit.

As far as God is concerned, our flesh is no longer a problem:

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2: 20)

and

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Galatians 5: 24) 


No comments:

Post a Comment