Saturday, February 2, 2019

Vengeance Is His -- Let Him Repay

"To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste." (Deuteronomy32: 35)



For a long time, I really didn't believe this promise.

I didn't think that God was going to intervene in my life, that he was going to go after the bad people in my life, or those who had harmed me.

Yet this is a promise so sure, that Paul the Apostle references it in Romans:

"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

"If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." (Romans 12:17-19)

For the last two years, I have meditated on this aspect of my growth in grace.

I really believed that God was not intervening in my life and taking care of "bad people" in my life, or at least those who had done great wrong.

Today, I recognize that He has always been in the job, and He is taking care of my enemies.

There's a key word in Deuteronomy which I have overlooked in the past: "Their foot shall slide in due time."

They will slip, they will fall, they will be no more, but not on my timetable. It's on God's timetable.

He does not wish any evil to the wicked, but rather that they repent. There but for the grace of God would many of us had gone without Jesus and His grace and mercy in our lives.

But there's more at stake than others. God loves His children, those who believe in Him and trust in the redemptive Work of His Son. He wants full vindication to enter into our lives and not disrupt us.

He also does not want our peace and prosperity to come from vengeance. It's not enough for bad things to happen to bad people. It's one thing for someone to pay a price for stealing my cow. But I refer God's law of restoration, in which He gives us double for all our troubles:

"For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them." (Isaiah 61:7)

I would rather receive double for me losses.

I would rather rejoice in the greater good that I receive than in seeing those who stole from me get punished.

I prefer everlasting joy than seeing bad people get "Theirs"

When I let go, when I let off from demanding retribution, when I got tired of getting angry and started realizing that He is on the job, that my Daddy God is taking care of me, I no longer had anything to worry about/.

Vengeance is God's--He will repay. If we just sit back and open our eyes, allowing God's Word to minister to us, we will discover that God is actively rewarding us and punishing our enemies!


No comments:

Post a Comment