Saturday, March 2, 2013

Inspiration in AA -- (Rest and Relaxation)

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while. (AA, pg 86)
This piece of advice caused more problems, not fewer, in my life.

I still remember the trauma and turmoil of working out the "Twelve Steps" in my life.

I prayed my Third and Seventh Step prayer religiously, yet I found myself still flummoxed and flabbergasted by life.

I wanted to purchase a computer for myself. The moment that I arrived to purchase the select computer, I discovered that the computer was missing a number of features. I felt "uneasy" within myself, but let things pass.

I had no idea at the time how to assess this ill feeling. Was it me? Was it God?

All of this confusion and distortion is the very opposite of rest and relaxation.

How do I measure, or assess, the "intuitive thought or decision". All too often, this line of suggestion creates more problems than it solves.
If we do not have an accurate understanding of God, then we can never have an accurate understanding of His will for our lives.

If we do not believe that the Holy Spirit lives in us, that in Christ the natural life is righteousness, peace, and joy (Romans 14:17)

This peace rules "good or bad" in our hearts (Colossians 3: 15).

Point of fact, the Holy Spirit who lives in us gives us all knowledge, and we do not need to run to other people to figure out what to do (1 John 2: 20-27).

The Word of God gives us something simple to do:

"18But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen." (2 Peter 3: 18)

The focus is on Christ Himself, and the more that we receive of His grace, the more that we know Him and continue in His Word (John 8: 31), we find ourselves in the Truth and set free indeed (John 8: 36)

His inspiration works in our lives to the extent that we let Him rest us (Matthew 11: 28), a rest from earning righteousness as a work, but rather we believe and keep receiving it as a  gift (Romans 5: 17, which allows us to know Him intimately, to let His laws work themselves out in our hearts and minds, and allows Him to be our God, providing all things for us.

It could not be simpler.

"Inspiration" creates confusion, distortion, and dysfunction. The Holy Spirit within us works in us perfectly, as long as we rest from our own dead works and live in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment